Job Training Sites
Freeport-McMoRan’s Mine Training Institute, in partnership with the San Carlos Apache Tribe, operates a technical training program to teach and certify tribal members in heavy equipment operations and industrial maintenance. The program goal is to increase the employability skills and job opportunities for the Apache students while growing a qualified workforce for the Company’s Arizona mine operations, particularly those near the San Carlos Apache Reservation – Miami, Safford and Morenci.
The Freeport-McMoRan Mine Training Institute can be found at the Twin Buttes property near Sierrita. The Institute provides a central location where trainers from various sites will receive instruction in the company’s new technical training curriculum. The curriculum is part of a program to standardize the training of job competencies for operations and maintenance employees. It is outfitted with classrooms and lab space, as well as state-of-the-art electrical and mechanical simulators. It will serve as the clearing house for all technical training needs with resources made available to the sites.
ADDITIONAL SUPPORT SITES
Throughout Arizona, in addition to our operations, we have several support sites.
- In/near Tucson, Arizona we have four different office locations.
- Most recently, the Technology Center has relocated from Safford, Arizona to Tucson and is close to the Exploration, Mine Planning and Environmental Technology groups.
- The Climax Molybdenum Technology Center in Sahuarita is a full-scale manufacturing facility with a research and development mandate where we commercially produce a range of engineered molybdenum metal powders.
- In Safford you will find the Central Analytical Services Center where we analyze ore samples from the various North American sites. Robotic technology is used to handle materials and is designed to make about 2.4 million analytical determinations per year.
- Also in Safford is the Mining Technology Group which focuses on identification and implementation of new technologies that improve health and safety, reduce the environmental impact of mining and the overall improvement of mining efficiency while reducing operating costs.